Type: Full Time/Flexible
Location: Durham, NC
El Futuro is a one-of-a-kind place where Spanish speaking immigrants can access culturally responsive mental health services. We are a community-based program, founded as a volunteer effort in 2001 to meet the otherwise unmet need for bilingual mental health services for the growing Latino immigrant community in North Carolina. We are searching for a dynamic communications professional to assist in growing our community!
Management & Strategic Communications
- Develop, coordinate, and execute an integrated communications strategy across multiple media platforms to engage and grow El Futuro’s community
- Manage an ongoing editorial strategy and calendar, including development of themes and messaging aligned with organizational goals, fundraising opportunities, and programmatic strategies
- Monitor news cycle and public discourse related to immigration and mental health. This will include leading rapid response to determine when organizational response is necessary and manage next steps.
- Keep the staff apprised of organizational and project specific communication, talking points, news coverage, and social media activities.
- Grow audience reach (including media) and proactively manage audience engagement (in close collaboration with fundraising personnel when engaging donor audiences).
- Ensure El Futuro is adequately resourced with platforms and programs for efficient management of communications activities, including aligning with the donor database platform, proactively managing (and acquiring, if necessary) content management systems, and more.
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, ongoing email newsletters, brochures, social media, website, press releases, annual reports, includes writing copy and designing materials on brand with El Futuro.
- Work in close coordination with Advancement Team on marketing and fundraising materials. Review and contribute to grant proposal writing, reporting, and communication with funders as appropriate. Write copy for fundraising appeal letters as appropriate.
- Implement a vibrant and dynamic web presence, particularly by updating and adding to the existing website, and ensuring a consistent and engaging social media presence.
- Manage and maintain relationships with reporters and other media contacts. Pitch stories and spokespeople, write news releases, support in drafting op-eds and other necessary media communications. Maintain comprehensive and shared media list.
- Work across all El Futuro program areas and in close coordination with the Advancement Team to effectively manage lists and list-building strategies.
Key Organizational Relationships:
- Executive Director
- Director of Advancement
- Program Directors
- Advancement Associate
- La Mesita Team
- A Bachelor’s degree in Communications or related field. Advanced degree in a related field is a plus.
- At least five years of experience in nonprofit communications with progressively advancing responsibilities, including at least two years in a leadership position with primary responsibility for managing communications efforts.
- A demonstrated commitment to the shared values of El Futuro and its donors and partners.
- Thorough understanding of content management, media relations, social media strategy, and communications tools, resources, and strategies.
- Strong communication skills, both written, editing, and verbal. Bilingual Spanish/English is a plus.
- Strong analytical and strategic thinker who considers mission and vision of organization in all their planning and actions.
- Good personal organization, time management, and planning skills.
- Ability to create sensitive and effective messaging in a complex operating environment dealing with immigration and mental health.
- Expertise / fluency in Google Drive, Canva (or related design platform), Constant Contact (or related email marketing platform), and content management systems.
- Ability to multi-task and manage a demanding workload.
- A hands-on and proactive management style and the ability to address and solve problems or issues as they arise.
- Ability to work as a team member and work effectively with diverse people.
- Demonstrated awareness of and value of cultural humility.
- Dedicated team player with ability to work with staff, board, and partner organizations.
- Effective listener who seeks and accepts feedback. Looks for opportunities to learn and grow in their work.
- The Communications Manager must be self-motivated, display sound judgment, relate well to the public and staff, and prioritize maintaining a positive image for El Futuro as the leading provider of Latino mental health care in the state and a future national model for improving mental health outcomes for Latino families.
Benefits / Perks / Selling Points
- Based in Durham, NC
- Strong, competitive benefits policies
- Ability to set flexible working schedule
- Diverse, vibrant, fun-loving team that laughs and plays together
- Supportive environment that builds on strengths and supports growth through rough edges
- Opportunity for significant growth in program under the right candidate’s leadership
To apply, please visit our LinkedIn listing at this link.